Are the new AMD Phenom II CPUs able to work with AM2?

Yangggdf Dfsdf

I'm wondering if the new Phenom II CPUs are compatible with old AM2 motherboards not AM2+, I mean the really old AM2 socket.In particular I'm wondering if the AMD Phenom II X4 955 is compatible with the ASUS M2N32SLI Deluxe Wifi Edition motherboard.I know that a lot of performance is being lost but I just want to know if it is possible.Thanks.

James-007

Check with Asus just to be sure, but generally speaking Phenom II will only work with AM2+ or AM3 (if that's out yet) unless the moterhboard manufacturer released a AM2 update that works with Phenom II.

Sassifrass13

I have that motherboard and was thinking about trying. In theory it should be able to even though Asus dont officially support it. Some people i have seen got it to work fine ok but others didn't.So it might work but its a bit of a gamble. (you need to update your bios to the latest one off the Asus website to stand a chance of it working)

Ray

It's highly unlikely that the BIOS will support that chip.AM2 and AM2+ are considered to be interchangeable, so, you don't run a risk of burning anything by giving it a try.To answer your question directly: Yes, with a compatible BIOS it could work.

Jaden

ASUS M2N32-SLI DeluxePhenom X4 9550 (HD9550WCJ4BGH),2.2GHz,rev.B3,95W,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core Works with BIOS Version 1802 or laterLatest BIOS Version is 2205