Car Wash Worker Dies After Being Struck By Car

Scammer

Banned
A car wash worker has died after he and a co-worker were struck by a car while at work. The co-worker remains in critical condition.

Montgomery County Fire authorities say the two men were struck by a Jeep Cherokee driven by another worker at the Flagship Car Wash on Hungerford Dr in Rockville.

Authorities say one car wash worker was driving a car out of the wash tunnel to the dry off area where the two other workers were when the car suddenly "took off," striking those workers and dragging them across the street, pinned underneath the car.

A Rockville city police officer was at the car wash getting his cruiser washed at the time of the accident.

"It's heart-wrenching. And it's a freak, tragic accident when you see these things go down like that," said Officer Chris Day.

Officer Day watched in horror and then took action. He called in the incident then joined other car wash employees in trying to get the car off the two victims.

"I came running up and I observed two males pinned underneath the vehicle," he said.

The Jeep came to rest against a telephone pole support cable on the north side of Frederick Avenue. Officer Day scrambled to render first aid.

"I observed one male saying 'It hurts, it hurts, it hurts.' And I observed legs sticking out from under the vehicle," he said.

The officer and bystanders were unsuccessful and firecrews had to extricate the two men.

"You feel helpless. You can't lift a car. A car weighs a lot more than I can physically, or anyone can physically lift up," said Officer Day.

Cpl. Friz is proud to have been one of Officer Day's instructors at the Montgomery County police academy.

"In this case, there's not much else he could have done right to help these two guys out. Unfortunately, it's a tragic ending, but he did a fantastic job," said Montgomery County Police Cpl. Dan Friz, who was one of Officer Day's instructors at the Montgomery County police academy.

Both victims were taken to the trauma unit at Suburban Hospital where the one man succumbed to his injuries. The man who died has been identified as 48-year-old Gavino Euseda of Hyattsville. Oscar Eusebio, 44, of Washington D.C. remains in critical condition.

The employee who was driving the car was identified as 27-year-old Julio Cesar Coreas-Portilloof of Silver Spring. Police say he was not injured, remained on the scene, and immediately assisted his co-workers.

Coreas-Portilloof was said to be distraught over this accident.

"We just feel sad about it. Still in shock about what happened," said George Funes, a Flagship employee.

Investigators will now examine the mechanical condition of the Jeep, look at weather conditions and any chemicals that may have been on the pavement.