shehanwik

What are the differences between AMD and intel processors. And can you explain why the AMD CPUs are cheaper than the intel CPUs. Thanks.

ChrisD

Nither. Intel is better but its expensive as hell so i dont buy it. Amd is good and costs as much as it should. if your rich grandma just died and left all her money to you buy intel(also if your carrer needs high CPU rand RAM usage because its got tripple channel 6 slots. If your a working man who doesnt really need a big cpu and dual channel 4 slot ram for for amd. Im using amd for high performance games its perfect dont need intel.

J I H

AMD fans will tell you AMD.Intel fans will tell you Intel.Here is a chart of some of the latest processors which were benchmarked using a chart:http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/3DMark-Vantage-Overall-Performance,2416.htmlJudging by that alone, it seems Intel has the edge with their latest CPU's, though I currently use an AMD and see no reason to change.As for AMD being cheaper, I don't believe that's the case, as I've found all processors' prices to differ based on performance, and not necessarily because of the brand name. It also depends where you're shopping, of course.

secretxax

No brand is better than the other. Each brand is good for what it's designed for. Intel is designed for performance, but AMD is designed for value. Intel may be faster, but AMD is more better for the money (bang for the buck). If you want the best performance no matter the cost, then get Intel. But if you want performance, but don't wanna spend a lot of money, then AMD is a good choice, depending on the CPU you get.For example: AMD's best 6-core CPU is (Socket AM3) AMD Phenom II X6 1100T for $270 on Newegg.com.But Intel's best CPU is (Socket 1366) Intel Core i7 980X 3.33GHz for $1,000 on Newegg.com.But recently, Intel came out with the new Socket 1155 CPUs. The best one for that socket is Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Mode) for $330 on Newegg.com. It's not as fast as the Core i7 980X, but once you overclock is enough (correctly), then it should be faster than Core i7 980X on stock speeds. Therefore, the Core i7 2600K is the best one for the money right now...

Great Reb

Generally Intel is a more popular choice. Intel's processors are almost always one generation ahead of AMD's in terms of fabrication (ie. Intel will release 22nm CPUs as AMD gets their 32nm going). You can almost always assume that you are going to get what you pay for no matter the brand. A $200 intel CPU will generally perform close to a $200 AMD CPU. In terms of processing alone I find it hard to argue any AMD desktop processor over a cheaper intel i5 2500k, but the cpu itself is only part of the appeal. The newer generation intel CPUs cannot be used with DDR2 RAM, generally run slightly warmer than AMD CPUs, and are a bit behind in integrated graphics. So if you have left over DDR2 RAM you want to use, need a cool CPU for a HTPC, and want to use the integrated graphics it is easy to pick an AMD processor.