How do I download files from my old computer harddrive to be place on a new computer?

bennyone

I'm planning to purchase a new computer, but do not want to lose the files on my old harddrive.

DaDude

Either email ALL the files to yourself (not reccomended) or back them up with a Master-Disc, or something (like a CD-R). I don't have much knowledge of this, as I let someone else backup my files for me. However, a store should be able to show you (or heck, do it for you... but that'll cost you quite a bit).

Seyed Salim T

there are number of ways.1- remove HDD from the old one and put it in new one, after copying remove that old HDD if u like2- purchase an external HDD case which might cost around 40 US dollars. then u can put ur old HDD in the case and connect it to new computer using USB.3- if both have network card, use a Cross Cable to connect them directly and then transfer by the network. 4- if they are already part of network, just share the files u like from the old computer and retrieve from the new one

Computer Guy

Several methods:1) Burn CD's, 700 MB each.2) Thumb drives up to 1 Gigabyte are available3) Install the old drive in the new computer and copy drive to drive.4) If you have a router/switch, or are handy with networks...

unitedf1rst

Ok. Don't listen to the other people. I have a free, built-in solution. Make sure both computers are networked together. Then use the "File and Settings Transfer Wizard". Free solution!!!!