tekawuk

My laptop is about five years old give and take, and I've been noticing sluggish performance. I've read somewhere replacing with a new harddrive will improve performance. I've also notice that the hard drive LED blinks a lot especially after running memory-heavy programs.

Yeti

what you need is memory which is different than your hard drive i would save up and get a cheap used one off ebay u can get some for 100$.if you dont have an ebay account go to staples and get the cheapest laptop it would prolly be better than yours.sorry but if yours is 5 years old its prolly true.

Jane_Doe

common warning signs of impending hard drive failure: Frequent but irregular crashes, especially while booting up Windows. Frequent and cryptic error messages while performing typical activities like moving files. Folder and file names that have been scrambled and changed. Disappearing files and folders. Really long waits to access folders and files. Hard disk is silent for a long period after you request data by opening a file or folder. Garbled output from open files or printing. Hard drive grinds away constantly because of noisy bearings.Any of the above signs mean you should check your drive using one of the utilities.

Brett

Usually your hard drive will start making funny (well, not so funny...) noises when it's starting to fail. Have you defragmented the drive lately? That may be the problem. Or perhaps you have too much stuff on it. Give Glary Utilities a try. Run the cleanup and the registry tools and you can run the windows disk defragmenter from Glary Utilities by clicking on System Tools > Windows Standard Tools.Edit: Ignore Yoyo. Your computer won't slow down because you don't have enough RAM...

mandy

hi. your laptop is being overloaded due to insufficient memory. so you either should get more than this memory or should remove some unwanted files from your laptop and it might caused some virus or hardware establishment wouldn't have properly. so the best way is to contact a good laptop services provider.

bennyone

If you feel the need to make your laptop run faster. Don't replace the hard drive. Simply back up what you need to a dvd cd or external hard drive, and reformat your laptop. buying a new hard drive would be irrational and pointless. It would be costly to do that and instead you could simply reformat it which would serve the same cause.Back up memory > Reformat Laptop > Be happy.P.s. The purpose of your computer slowing down could be caused by unknown viruses, infections and technical problems. Download Ccleaner and/or other virus scanners to clean up your laptop. Use this -http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4191&file=15&evp=a12d758b021af1a4f0a6bfe45b0c7a82And this -http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=2471&file=15&evp=2470f9bfb0cc682334ff8c4459556118I hope you enjoyed the advise. and your laptop gets fixed!- Yours truly, Big Ben