How do you transfer files on a laptop harddrive to another hards drive of the same kind?

cdeantoneo731

Can you just take the harddrive and put it in the other laptop?i put the harddrive in, but when I go to my documents, the files aren't there.

evaohell

Yes and no.Yes, if the laptop is the same exact laptop...or yes if the laptop allows the intallation of a second harddrive...my HP 8510w does.No, if the laptop is different brand/model, then you will get blue screens if you try to boot windows. You should head over to newegg.com and buy an external case for a laptop harddrive.

DJ Pazze

Are you tryiing to transfer files from a 2.5" internal harddrive to a regular laptop?If so, the easiest way to do it is by purchasing a 2.5" internal hard drive case.If you just put it into another laptop you will get a message saying sometign like "No operating syztem foyund"

dewcoons

You can take the hard drive out of the old computer and put it into the new computer as a second hard drive. It will show up with its own letter (such as E:). You can then drag and drop files between the two drives.HOWEVER, you will not be able to drag the actual files for running Windows between the drives. They are protected so that they can not be copies to prevent people from "stealing" the Windows program by making illegal copies. Also most programs, if copies, will not run on the second drive. They usually have to have information in the registry (not duplicated by a file copy) in order to run. Again, it prevents the illegal copying of programs.You can move data, such as pictures, music, videos and other documents without any problems.If you want to duplicate the entire old hard drive onto a new hard drive, you will need a "cloning" software such as Norton Ghost or Drive Image. They will make a perfect copy of one drive onto another (including any bad files, unneeded dll files, incorrect registry settings, etc.) But the program cost over $100.If you are wanting to set up a new hard drive, it is better to install Windows and any other programs you want on the new drive, then copy over the data from the old.