Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdWatcher

I recently bought a house in rural Tennessee, and the previous owner had Dish Network up and running fine. I did not subscribe to DN because this is a vacation home, and we're only there 5-6 times a year. Local over-the-air channels are basically two: one fuzzy and one blurry.

So, I had this old PANSAT 2500 box that I used to use in Illinois on a DirectTV setup about 4 years ago. It was re-pointed to 110 and 119, and worked fine using the DTV dish and my setup at home. I thought I would be able to take this box to Tennessee and just plug it into the coax and at least be able to get the FTA channels. FTA from 110 and 119 is better than fuzzy and blurry OTA.

The signal strength showed only 30% and quality was 0%. The LNB type (listed in the PANSAT menu) was "Standard". I changed it to "Dish Network" but that didn't help. I'm thinking there are other settings I need to change in the PANSAT to get it running. Any suggestions?

I'm not interested in bins and flashing or anything, I'd just like to get SOME sort of programming for the few weekends I"mt here.

CASPER

Well you can go to dishpointer.com or lyngsat.com and adjust your antenna to the right elevations........and look for other sat other than dish for True Fta there are plenty out there.... for you to catch........

BirdWatcher

Well you can go to dishpointercom or lyngsatcom and adjust your antenna to the right elevations........and look for other sat other than dish for True Fta there are plenty out there.... for you to catch........

The fact that this PANSAT box is set up to receive 110 and 119, and that DishNetwork setups point to 110 and 119 makes me think there's something else going on besides a mis-aligned dish. I mean, the dish didn't move between the time the former owner moved out and the time I put the PANSAT on. Shouldn't I at least be able to get a decent signal and quality, even without a ton of FTA channels?

Sorry, I guess I am a newb. I thought 110 and 119 had a few FTA signals coming down.

I'm thinking maybe I need a different setting in the PANSAT menus to compensate for this not being on the old DirecTV dish. The dish says "Dish 500" and the LNB is Dish Pro. Would that make a difference?

CASPER

well then you will need to install the latest bin which it is not out right now...all receivers are down ............come back tomorrow see if a bin is available for your model....

BirdWatcher

well then you will need to install the latest bin which it is not out right now...all receivers are down ............come back tomorrow see if a bin is available for your model....

I thought 'bins' were for 'testing' and such. I just want my plain ol' vanilla PANSAT to work with the Dishnetwork setup dish & LNB I have now. This place in Tennessee has no internet, no phone, and barely cell reception, so having to flash the receiver every time is not an option.

I'm thinking, if the Dish is pointed correctly (it was when the previous owner has service) then, flashed or not flashed, I should be able to at least show a good signal strength and quality, even if what is coming down is scarmbled.

CASPER

It will not work with out a bin unless you move the dish around and get free to air tv.......sorry..............

Status
Not open for further replies.