What kind of harddrive to I need to get for my computer?

Juando

I want to add a second harddrive for my Dell 2400 that I bought about 2 yrs ago. How do I find out what kind of harddrive I need?

Simon Said

There are only two types - IDE and SATA. Try asking in your local computer repair shop for information on how to put it in. I wouldn't mind betting it's an IDE drive. Other than that - get a big one!Hope that helps, Simon H

Ed the PC guy

IDE would be fine as would any size of hard drive. Just be sure to use the manufacturers tools to initialise it. Use NTFS as the file system and you shouldn't have any problems.Regards EDD

EffJay

To quote from the PCSTATS website "One thing that is immediately noticed upon opening up the Dimension 2400 is that it lacks much future expansion room. Specifically, there is no place to add an extra hard disk, unless you were to jury-rig one onto the spare 5.25" drive bay" . I would therefore suggest that you opt for an external hard drive connected with a usb port. While they may not be as fast as internal drives they can be far more useful in that you can transfer the drive to just about any computer very easily. You can get these drives from many places and prices and sizes vary, choose the largest you can afford. You can also buy external hard drive enclosures that you add your own drive to, this can work out cheaper if you happen to have an old internal drive going spare.