How long does it take to format a 1tb external scsi harddrive?

JoeShmoe

This harddrive I bought from ebay takes a really long time to transfer data. I've been trying to format it, but it seems to take Hours. Did I buy a lemon or does it really take that long to format a 1tb drive? I've run DSKCHK /r on it and during the last stage it said "not enough free space for master boot table" or something like that. Idk what else to do.

kocmo

If this is the first time you format it, it will take pretty long because it has to defragment the disk, has to clean the hard drive in general and that takes time. If you've done that before and now you want to format it but there's a lot of data on it, it will take even more time because as you probably know the format deletes the files and it's time consuming. In conclusion, I will say not to worry if it takes several hours to perform the action, it's quite normal for 1 TB hard drive. Just let it take its time.Best regards,Admin http://kocmobg.com

Bomber

you won't be able to run check disk on an un-formatted disc but as for taking a long time that's normal don't worry you haven't bought a lemon a 1Tb disc could take between 1 to 2 hours to format just be patient go and have a cup of coffee or something while the format completes

Rhyled

there is something wrong about this drive , it may be connections otherwise its the drivecheck connections first

mario

it would take at least an hour i would think to format. perhaps longer . my 500 gb drive takes at least an hour i think . you should neve have to fix a newer drive . they have automatic error fixing in them . You may have to fix file structure and the like but bad secters should be done automatically . the new 1TB drives seem to have problems . I have seen a lot of complaints about their bad performance . Maybe waiting for the technology to improve woulfd be a better idea. try and partition the drive into several smaller partitions. 1tb is a huge partition . make s 4 out of it . Each one will take about 30 minutes or so to format i would think . that may help out and also may help the performance problems being reported . This would also allow you to save any info on your drive if you get a corruption on one partition you will not have to lose the whole TB over it .but yes your 2 hours of formatting is most likely normal .