How do I erase all my information from my harddrive so I can get rid of it?

Jamillah A

I would like to dispose of my old harddrive but I want to make sure all of the information is deleted first so I am not a victim of indentiy theft. I am not that computer savvy. PLEASE HELP.

eatitupwormshero

Download a nuke disk like this one: http://www.dban.org/aboutPut it in your computer when you turn it on and boot it when it loads. Follow the options and settings (you may want to google if there's settings you don't understand) - i tend to go for the maximum number of erases and leave it on for a few days. If you're binning it then do that first and then smash it with a hammer inside a bag to keep all the pieces in tact. Then bin it.

Tallest Skil

Take a phillips screwdriver and just take the drive apart.Or, if you're on a Mac, go to Disk Utility, select the drive, choose "Erase" and then under the advanced options, do a 35-pass overwrite.

Skyline

hey, if you know how to you can connect it back inside your computer - but set it as a slave -then boot up your machine it will then come up as a hard drive.go to my computer and it'll show up as local disk D or E or F or something so depending on what drives you had already attached to your pc.then go to my computer, right click the drive then select format.if you do NOT want to go this option u can take a power tool ( drill electric saw etc) and cut it in half or something so.but i highly recommend that you keep it. you never know when you might need the extra storage space for your computer.i highly recommend buying an external box installing the hard drive in that and connecting it to your pc via the USB port. ( instructions are included when you buy the enclosure)buy the enclosure and put the hard drive in that and keep it as extra storage space for your files.if u dont want the hard drive anymore you can just take a screwdriver and take it apart !!!!