skyenergy

My Veiwsat Pro is running hotter with this last bin. Has anyone change the heat sink on these. I did this on my fortec ultras. Because, they were a joke. It also fixed the freezing of the chanels. I might try adding a fan.

OK. this is an update. The heat sink on the chip is put on with foam tape. It is like putting R40 insulation on the chip. It was so hot that the heat sink came right off. I am going to change this. I will let people know how it comes out.

Last edited:

archange187

My Veiwsat Pro is running hotter with this last bin. Has anyone change the heat sink on these. I did this on my fortec ultras. Because, they were a joke. It also fixed the freezing of the chanels. I might try adding a fan.

OK. this is an update. The heat sink on the chip is put on with foam tape. It is like putting R40 insulation on the chip. It was so hot that the heat sink came right off. I am going to change this. I will let people know how it comes out.

Really? Foam tape? That doesn't make much sence. I rember back in the Cband days i was progaming a eprom for a VC. (for those who do now know, VC is video Cycpher and the autoroll back then, well you had to program in the keys manualy and then hit a button and wait for the the next set of autoroll number to come down.) I was doing a VC board and the heatsinks were all taken off for some reason. The board would run prefectly for the first hour or so then the picture would freeze. The sodre on the board was liquifiing and breaking contact. Was a neat problem.

If i were you i would add a fan, cooling of electronics is never a bad thing!

-Angel

skyenergy

Up date to my hot VS PRO. Last night I took the heat sink off the main chip. It was being held on by foam tap. The receiver was freezing up. I would have to turn it off for a few mins. I would only get an hour before it would freeze. I notice that the receiver was hot. I replaced the foam tape with the proper heat transfer greese. It is now very cool. I added a CPU fan. Now it is cold. If you are not afraid to open your receiver and look. You can see if your chip is being cooled the right way. You must turn off your receiver and unplug it from you power supply. The heat sink is black, has fins that are about 3/4 inch tall, 1 inch square. If you see a white 1/8 thick strip under the heat sink. That is foam tape. If the receiver was on for a while, you will be able to remove the heat sink. I gently twisted the heat sink and pulled. It pealed off with no trouble. I was lucky that the tape came off with the heat sink. I cleaned off the heat sink and applied the heat transfer grease. Stuck the heat sink back on. I have been running the 12-22-07 bin for 18hours with no problem.

skyenergy

I thought the freezing proble was from the file it self.
Yes, Part of it is the programing. But, if it last more than a few seconds. I found that it was the overheating of the chip. It would lock up for 5 mins. Now it is only for about 15 seconds. There is always a programing problems. That is why we are always testing what they put out.

archange187

Yes, Part of it is the programing. But, if it last more than a few seconds. I found that it was the overheating of the chip. It would lock up for 5 mins. Now it is only for about 15 seconds. There is always a programing problems. That is why we are always testing what they put out.

You could but a cpu fan on the chip insted of a heatsink. There only 12v and you have a supply right on the power supply.. If not you can double the PRO as a space heater :)

-angel

skyenergy

You could but a cpu fan on the chip insted of a heatsink. There only 12v and you have a supply right on the power supply.. If not you can double the PRO as a space heater :)

-angel

I did add a CPU fan in. I tapped into the 12 volt supply. I do not recomend this unless the person has electronics skills. A person can ruin there power supply. The fan did a great thing in keeping the unit cool and running fast. The channel changing is faster and the guide comes up faster when on the channel. If a person has the skills, it is a good thing to do. I am going to buy one more VS PRO. I will do this again.

archange187

I did add a CPU fan in. I tapped into the 12 volt supply. I do not recomend this unless the person has electronics skills. A person can ruin there power supply. The fan did a great thing in keeping the unit cool and running fast. The channel changing is faster and the guide comes up faster when on the channel. If a person has the skills, it is a good thing to do. I am going to buy one more VS PRO. I will do this again.

Awsome idea. Just for other members maybe you can take pics of the modification and show other members what was done. :)

-Angel